zaterdag 7 februari 2015

Start Week 5: comparing types of boning

I have to apologize for posting this message so late. I've filmed it on time, but as I was feeling poorly for three weeks now, it took a while before I took the time to edit and post is. But now I have, so here comes my report of last week!

Overall I've been a good girl and only skipped wearing the corset for a couple of days. 
This week I read an article about the benefits of artificial whaleboning and how this succesfully creates an authentic Victorian corsetshape where steel boning fails to do so. This article contained an example by my favourite costume historian Luca Costiglio: Click here for the film by Bowes Museum. So needless to say, I was immediately convinced and ordered 50 metres of it from England for my bridal corset and other experiments.

As it arrived I felt inspired to do some comparing with different types of boning. In this film I compared:
  • plastic boning (1 cm) with steel boning (1 cm), 
  • plastic boning (0,7 mm) with steel boning (0,5 cm),
  • artificial whalebone (white) with plastic boning of the same width but transparent,
  • actual whalebone to all the others mentioned above.  
  • Oh, and rigilene, but never mind that!
In the end the steel boning is of course more rigid than the flexible plastic ones, however it needs to be said that the 0,7 mm plastic boning does not kink! 
The strength of the whalebone is balanced between the slightly more flexible narrow artificial whalebone and the plastic 0,7 mm bone which is slightly less flexible. I forgot to compare it to the spiral boning, but I think the stiffness is similar to that. 

This made me decide to make 2 mockups of my bridal corset; one with artificial whalebone and one with the 0,7 mm plastic bone, if I can find it... Maybe mixed with the spiral boning. 

Unfortunately my waist was back to square one... I had measured my natural waist that morning; 93 cm, and that evening my corsetted waist came down to 83 cm. Back to where I started; bummer! I think it might be some weird monthly thing having something to do with the cycle of my body. But we'll see. Still many months to go, one down. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten